Re: [Harp-L] Why do we associate major with happy and minor with sad?

Only some minor keys have flats. Plenty of them have sharps - E minor (1 sharp),
C# minor (4 sharps), etc.

The natural minor scale is identical to the major scale in its intervallic
structure , so it really doesn't have any more inherent  tension. However, in
much minor music, the 6th and 7th degrees of the scale are raised at certain
points in the music, which can introduce additional tensions.

The overtones generated by a bass note form a major triad. For instance, a C
bass note generates, C, G,C again, then E, then G again, then a very flat
Bb. When you voice an Eb (third of a C minor chord) against the implied
E-natural, you set up tension.

Frankly, I think a lot of this minor = sad stuff is purely cultural.

Winslow
Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com