Re: [Harp-L] Alfie's theme

On Nov 23, 2010, at 8:09 PM, Rick Dempster wrote:

While on the subject Joe, and it's not the first time I've asked it, how does Stevie do that pizzicato 'spitting' thing? Don't think I've heard anyone else pull it off.
RD

You hit the nail exactly on the head Rick. It IS a spit thing. (without the liquid). Stevie chooses keys that, while maybe not the easiest, are chosen for effect. Something where he can slap the slide. chip notes, chip the corners of holes, do the ptooie ptooie thing, etc.
I would say that Wizard Winslow probably knows more about his style than anyone. Slide man Slim is also a wealth of info as pertains to him. I don't do the 'spit-pluck' too well as I am a tongue blocker. You need to purse your lips up really tight and then flick your tongue against the inside of your lips. Sort of like when you use your finger in your cheek to make a champagne cork sound..........only without the finger.

Jo-Jo

joe leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> 24/11/2010 3:15 >>>
It IS Bb major as played by Stevie (on a C chromo). Originally
written in C, you can also achieve Bb by using various other keyed
chromos. I have it from Buckeye 2005 as Bb played on a C Chromo. Most
other players I know play it in C.
smo-joe