RE: [Harp-L] Toy Story 3

Tommy Morgan contacted me this morning to tell me that he's the player.

His playing on this soundtrack is about as good as I've ever heard in any context. I just wish there was more of it. I believe there's some diatonic in there, too, and it sure sounds great.

As I mentioned to Mr. Morgan, though I am a diatonic player, I'll take a chromatic session if the part is not hard and the producer knows that I am not a chrom guy by trade.

A few years ago a very good friend of mine asked me to come in on what we both knew would be a bunch of sessions that were highly scored. I'm really not all that generous, but I wanted to make sure that my friend got all the work for his studio and production skills, so I told him to hire Mr. Morgan for this gig.

In this particular case, I looked better by handing the job over to the maestro than taking it for myself and my relationship with the producer continues to be excellent even now.

I actually got a session once that would have ordinarily gone to Mr. Morgan, except that he was travelling.

The producer was very well aware that I am not a chromatic guy, and that I am a lousy reader. And I STILL made a mess of things, because the 6 bar cue I had to record had a different time signature for each bar. It took me a half hour to get what a good reader could have knocked off in a few minutes or less. My producer knew what he was getting himself into, and I gave him the nice, pretty chromatic sound he was hoping for, but I still felt like an idiot.

So as it stands, if I DON'T play a Tommy Morgan session I look alot better than if I do.

I could have predicted that.