Re: [Harp-L] List/Best of Muddy/Walter Collaborations?

Reading Tom's post has highlighted my error with credits for the LW book, of
course I meant "Glover/Gaines/Dirks"

________________________________
From: Tom Ball <havaball@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: prairiedogpr@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, 10 November, 2010 1:13:53
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] List/Best of Muddy/Walter Collaborations?

Hi Jonathan,

Although Walter was not a member of Muddy's performing band after 1952 (when
"Juke" came out and Walter started his own group,) he continued to record with
Muddy for several more years at the behest of the Chess brothers, who were
loathe to break up a winning combination.

With a couple of exceptions, most of Muddy's work through 1956 has Little Walter
on harp. Exceptions include a few sessions with either Junior Wells or Walter
Horton. Little Walter and James Cotton alternated a bit in '57-'58.

Making a list of all LW/MW collaborations would be quite a time-consuming
affair... but then it's already been done for you in the exceptional Little
Walter bio "Blues With A Feeling" by Scott Dirks, Tony Glover and Ward Gaines.
Another source would be the discography "Blues Records 1943-1970," either of
which may be available in your local library. (Or if you happen to have my
instructional on Little Walter / Big Walter, there is also a discography there
of all LW's appearances on harp.)

cheers and good luck,
Tom Ball
http://www.tomball.us

Can anyone point me to a good list of the best (or all) of Little
Walter's collaborations with Muddy Waters? I have plenty of Walter's
solo material, but I am putting together a Little Walter playlist and
want to have some of his best performances with Muddy, too. I know Muddy
frequently recorded with James Cotton around the same period, so any
help differentiating from those would be appreciated.

--
Jonathan Metts