Re: [Harp-L] Blues Backing Tracks for a Female Vocalist (Wannabe)?

Hi, Bill,

It depends on the melodic range of a given song's melody. My "easy" vocal range is from F below middle C to D or E one octave and a bit above middle C. I can go a bit lower and a bit higher, but it starts to sound strained. (My coach is working with me on this part.)

My struggle is to find _an effective procedure_ for learning and practicing new songs, given that I don't have the luxury of rehearsing with a live band. I haven't found a good blues singer in my area who teaches, or a good teacher in my area who teaches blues songs.

I have no illusions that the great blues singers of the past -- male and female -- went to the Hal Leonard web site and bought "Pro-Vocal" books with companion CDs, with both "demo" and "sing-along" tracks. Yet this is what my teacher has been having me do.... so far with jazz, but now she has asked me to find some blues backing tracks. "Because this isn't your gig," she said, of my most recent jazz attempt.

I have plenty of jam tracks with which to practice harp. Not Ronnie's, but Jimi Lee's, among others. It hadn't occurred to me to try singing songs to those tracks. I have The Blues Fake Book, with lyrics and melodies in them. Perhaps I should try merging these.

I know one blues singer who told me, "I listen to a song at least a hundred times before I even try singing it." So, there's one method. (This doesn't solve the problem of accompaniment in the practice room at the music school. (I am not trying to initiate a "Yes, but" game, here.))

I know how to read music.

Eons ago, I used to sing in the church choir. We had rehearsals every Thursday night, and we would practice pieces in various stages of readiness for singing in church. The organist played piano as we rehearsed in the church vestry. If there were trouble spots, the director would have just the altos or just the tenors or whomever practice one passage until it got ironed out. Every week in church we sang an anthem, an offertory, 4-part harmony on all the hymns, and one of several "Amens" from the back of the hymn book after the benediction. We weren't the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. But we were decent. I am not inexperienced with learning songs. BUT: I didn't have to identify which songs to learn. And I had a rehearsal context that was dynamic, with a professional director and professional accompanist. I haven't figured out how to replicate those results with just myself, an electronic keyboard, and a CD player.

The immediate problem is that my teacher has asked me to acquire a backing track for "Summertime" in the key of C minor or D minor and be prepared to sing the song and play a harp solo between verses.

The global problem is identifying suitable blues songs for my range, skill level (and the skill level of the band I jam with on Tuesday nights), with female-centric or androgynous lyrics, learning to sing them without benefit of a band to practice with, and be able to communicate enough about the song and its structure to the band when I want to *sing* this song at my local jam.

I would love to hear what has worked for others of you when you were learning to add vocals to your harp performances.

Many thanks.
Elizabeth (aka "Tin Lizzie")