[Harp-L] Re: Which Delay Pedal To Buy?

I have used a Boss DM2, BBE Two Timer, Boss DD5(?), the Ibanez (?)
pink one that guitarists love, another $400 analog boutique pedal,
Line 6 Echo Park, Line 6 DL4, Line 6 Verbzilla, Line 6 M9, and Line 6
M13.  I haven't owned all those, so some where just to try out.

The Two Timer, for the money (used) is my favorite because it has two
delay times and works great with a live band.  The DM2 is my favorite
sound at home BUT live I could never really hear it as it was so
dark.  The BBE has a bit more presence in the sound and is more
evident live.  IMO, if you're using an effect, you should hear it on
stage.

The Line 6 stuff works well for harp.  I know Steve Baker commented on
the tape echo model on an M9 at the SPAH blow-off as sounding digital,
but I think it was more of an issue with my wireless, as it wasn't
working properly (the light was yellow instead of green and I think I
was getting interference on an old Samson AR1...it has happened twice
since then and my tone improves dramatically when using a cable).

I put my BBE up for sale but I still have it.  The reason being that I
have a M13 which is more than enough for delays.  I was thinking of
keeping the BBE for "blues" gigs, but in a year, that hasn't happened
and for those I'd probably be just as inclined to plug right into the
amp.  I am sorta all or nothing like that...no pedals or a ton of
pedals, lol.  The BBE is also actually analog and true bypass.
Everything else other than the DM2 is digital.

FWIW, I got a lot of compliments this past weekend for how I used the
M13, and almost all of that was some sort of time effect - the analog
model, tape with dry thru model, digital delay, sweep echo, and octo
verb.  A huge bonus is you can use them all as tap delays.

If I were going to use a delay for blues on a relatively low budget,
I'd stick with the BBE as the tape echo sound Carlos Del Junco gets
(which is often with a Boss delay modeler) is my fav.  The BBE can get
way close to that - a noticeable slap back kinda sound, whereas the
DM2 and probably several other delays mentioned in this thread are too
dark to replicate that.

It really comes down to whether or note you want a dark and muddy
sounding delay or something with a bit more presence.  Personally, I
think in many blues instances, a brighter sounding (but harp friendly)
delay lets the amp cut through the mix better too.  The BBE gives you
the benefits of analog and digital, IMO.

Mike