Re: [Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] what's the best embouchure?

On Nov 7, 2010, at 6:08 PM, Larry Marks wrote:

I can only speak for myself, because I know of really good players of each persuasion. So I am answering this understanding that THE BEST embouchure is the one that works for ya.

Now, I play only tongue blocking. I probably do so because I learned that way and have never had occasion to change. I learned that way because someone told me that ALL the really good players use tongue blocking. (Untrue, of course.)

BTW, I was already a brass player before I learned harp. I sometimes wonder if pucker embouchure would have been more natural for me. Any other brass players to comment on that?

I played trumpet until my face was smashed in a bad accident. I played 'pout style'. which is similar to pucker, but the little waxed paper in the harmonica case showed tongue blocking. So, that's predominately what I do. I also use pucker on occasion. Rare occasion.
P.S. I have also played sax, clarinet, flute to a lesser degree. The first 2 use the pout, the last the pucker.

Tongue blocking has never stopped me or made it difficult for me to play whatever I can hear in my head. I can overblow (which I do rarely), play valved (which I mostly do), do rapid double and triple tonguing, and get a nice tone.

I have been told by a variety of people - whom I regard as very good players but nonetheless mistaken - that I can't tongue block and do rapid tonguing, can't overblow, etc. Another blow against orthodoxy!

I can't see why a pucker player would be any faster than a tongue blocker on tonguing. After all, it IS called tongue block for a reason. Now if you're talking about the 'spitting' embochure that pucker players (like Wonder) use, I can't see why that would be faster than a tongue flutter as used by a tongue blocker.

I sincerely believe that if you want to play good harp, you are willing to practice, you are willing to really listen to yourself, you will develop the technique that you need/want using whatever embouchure is comfortable and works for you.

Some people have an easier time genetically, but I agree with you.

-LM