Re: [Harp-L] How many to do you bring...

On 11/06/2010 05:33 AM, John F. Potts wrote:
if a player wants to travel as light as possible, for blues. rock and R&B, one can probably get by with 7 harps: G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F.
that is the standard minimal set.  for me, though, i only
occasionally have need of the Eb, but get a lot of songs
that use the E.  maybe it's just the bands i play with,
which tend more towards rock than blues.

i use a zippered nylon harp case that holds 7 harps on
each side.  the right side has my basic 7 in circle of 5ths
order: Bb, F, C, G, D, A, E (highly recommended).  the left
side adds an Eb, Ab, B, plus a low F and spares of D, A, E.

the B is only used for one song my band does.  i actually
bought it just to play that song.  prior to that, in 5 years
of jams i only once encountered a song that called for it.

ymmv.

-- We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give. - Kathy Moser