[Harp-L] The Perfect Harp? Results of Manji vs Fire Breath

I've been looking for an upgrade to all my legacy Lee Oskar harps.

I wanted something with a bit better tolerances off the shelf but without
having to pay for custom prices.

I've tried the Seydel 1847 in several keys and they have the quality and
longevity I like (similar to the LO's with the plastic combs) but the $90
price was a bit steep.

Basically, I was hoping for  something that was approaching the specs of a
custom (maybe 80% there) without the $150 to $180 price.

So, I decided to give the Manji and Fire Breath Suzukis a try.

I ordered an A and D in each from Rockn Rons harps and gave them a try.

Here is my totally subject review:

With the rosewood combs, the Fire Breaths are nice and mellow. Good for
acoustic work. I keep the two FB's with me just in case I run into a street
scene I can sit it on.

But the Manjis fit better for me for amplified work. Brighter than the Fire
Breaths and more responsive. More volume. Similar to what I have liked about
the Lee Oskars over the years (where did they go?) but more defined.

If you drink the Suzuki Kool-Aid, the welded reeds, the better tolerances
and the composite combs approach a custom harp without the sticker shock.
So, for now at least, the Manjis are a keeper.

Putting my money where my mouth is, I got back with Ron and ordered 2 sets
of Manjis.

I think I'm good to go for now-at least until the next "perfect" harp at a
perfect price comes along.

Thoughts? Experiences with the Suzukis?

--

Johnny Williams