Re: [Harp-L] Love Sick Blues

Here is   MusicNotes download site which offers a fake book style version.
You will need to convert the music notation to harp tab -- but the good part
is that you get this leadsheet just about as fast as your computer printer
can print it out. Also, you can print the first page free -- to see what the
final product will look like.

The leadsheet download in the key of G costs $5.25 unless you are a member
of the digital club price ($4.73). You need a free program called Scorch to
hear a brief section of the song. You can change the key if you want before
you download (print out the sheet music on your own computer).

The notation consists of melody line with chord names G D7 C E7 A7 B7 Em
above the notes and   first postion (cowboy chords) guitar chord boxes below
the title on the first page. There is also guitar tablature below the music
notation.

Even if you don't read music or even plan to learn (a 5 minute process)
having the sheet music in front of you helps with the timing (the beats).
This song is 4/4 (4 quarter notes per bar) mostly. But there is a 2/4 bar "baby
said good-" that you might not figure out otherwise.

 You must figure out your own harmonica tablature by deciding what
position/key of harp you want to play it on.   You can use the Lee Oskar harp layout
sheets (from the Lee Oskar web site) to figure out where the notes are.
Another web site shows harp layouts and notation for all 12 keys. (I have used
it for my Harmonica 101 classes when I show them how to make their own tabs
from sheet music.)

We simply find the key of G diatonic layout among the 12 keys and match up
the notes on the layout sheet with those on the sheet music you just
downloaded.

YES I KNOW THIS IS GUITAR TABLTURE. If you don't play guitar, ignore the
guitar tablature.

This process may sound like a real pain in the neck compared to having
someone hand you a harmonica tab all ready to go. But at least you'll know that
there are no missing notes or wrong notes, which is usually what you get
when you download harp tab.

Of course the downside of making your own tab is that you might
accidentally teach yourself how to read music and then you won't have to tab out every
note, just play them.

Granted, buying individual songs -- as downloads or as individual sheet
music -- is the expensive way to collect songs. Buying a folio (book of songs)
is much cheaper; buying a fakebook of category songs (Country Fakebook,
Broadway Fakebook) is cheaper yet.

Nowadays just about any blues song is available in fakebook format or piano
notation in a book.

BTW this tune comes from a book. If you want more songs, it's cheaper to
buy the book. Check amazon for a quick rundown on Hank William's songbooks.

Hope this helps.
Phil