Re: [Harp-L] Low C options? Low F tunes?

A Seydel Blues Session in a low key in a standard production item for
Seydel. Bear (sic) in mind that the Seydel Blues Session is not an inexpensive
harp. I purchased a half-dozen and a low low F at Buckeye recently.

What is a low F good for? The obvious is playing in second position, which
is the key of C. If you want to play crossharp in the key of C on a standard
F you are playing the penultimate key in standard tuning. F# is the highest
pitched harp. If you play a standard F, you not only have to work harder on
all the reeds, you will call every dog in the neighborhood.

Anything you can play in cross harp you can play on a low F. Also, the low
F combined with a low C (or even a standard C) will give you the best of
both worlds: you can play the bent notes and the walking bassline starting on
draw 2-5 as well as the bent notes a la Jimmy Reed on the top end.
(You can do the same thing with a standard C harp [cross in G] and standard
G harps.)

Ultimately what you gain in the low harps is ease of playability on the top
octave blow bends -- they are much easier on a low C than standard C.
Nearly impossible on a standard F.

Most standard entry level harmonica books of songs are in the key of C.
However, if you play them crossharp -- they sound better because most of the
notes are draw.

Here the required bends in the key of C are F and A. Some people consider
these difficult bends, but if you are familiar with the major scale (holes
4-7) you are halfway there. Playing those two bent notes in the context of a
scale is a lot easier than playing them in isolation. Also, if you want to
work on your bends and the entry level book comes with a CD, play along in
cross harp and you'll soon have those pesky bent notes mastered.

Hope this helps.
Phil