[Harp-L] First impressions: Boss VE 20 Vocal Processor

I got a Boss VE 20 Vocal Processor pedal a couple of weeks
ago and seeing as all the sales literature seems to be
aimed at completely non-technical singers I thought the
first impressions of a harp player might be useful.

It's a twin pedal multi effect unit aimed at vocalists, so
you can plug a microphone straight into it, it will even
provide phantom power if you want.  It gives you six
effects: "Dynamics" (compression), "Pitch correct",
"Tone/SFX",  "Double/Harmony", "Delay" and "Reverb".

The "Tone/SFX" lets you choose one of six effects: a three
channel EQ (called "Preamp"), two types of distortion
(called "Distortion" and "Radio"), and three special
effects ("Strobe", "Chorus" and "Flanger"). This does mean
that you can't use, say, the distortion and flanger
together as you would do with a guitar multieffect unit,
so it's relatively limited in that respect.

The "Pitch correct" has a couple of nice extras that help
make up for that limitation, as well as being able to
correct your pitch (which is of limited use if your harps
are in tune) it can pitch-shift up or down an octave, and
it's got a gender parameter which can alter your tone
dramatically (making male vocalists sound female and vice
versa).  Setting the gender parameter to -10 (ultra macho)
produces a classic electric harp distortion.  You can also
use the "Douple/Harmony" effect to shape your tone by
mixing in additional voices with the gender effect applied
and/or shifted up or down an octave.

The harmonies can add an interesting extra dimension to
your sound, you programme in the key your playing along with
the intervals of the required harmonies and the pedal works
out the appropriate pitch shifted voice to add.

It's got separate delay (up to 4 seconds) and reverb (5
types) effects so you can both together, and the
compression is nice to have.

By default the left pedal is used to bypass all the effects
and the right pedal is used to switch harmonies on and off,
which is great for vocalists who want to have backing
singers on tap but not so useful for harpers being creative
with several effects.  The right pedal is programmable and
you can use is to toggle any combination of effects but I
found this an impractical way of working.  Fortunately, if
you hold the right pedal down for two seconds then the unit
switches mode and the left and right pedals can be used to
move up and down through the sound bank.  So if you have
two user sounds programmed next to each other you can
use the pedals to switch between them instantly (this
method is also the one you would need if you're using
harmonies and you want to change key mid song with the foot
switches).

The loop facility has a very handy feature, you can get it
take a dry sample of your playing which it plays back in a
continuous loop adding whatever effects you've got switched
on.  So when you're programming sounds you can capture a
phrase then put the harp down while you tweak the
parameters until you get it just way you want, and when
you're sound checking you can walk off stage and hear how
you would sound to the audience.

It's got a two channel output which can be set to stereo,
mono (both channels the same) or mono/dry (so if you're
having trouble with feedback from the effects you've got a
dry signal you can use for your monitor).

Overall, I'm very happy with my new pedal.  It will take me
a while to learn how to get the most from it but I've been
able to programme my basic sounds with no problems.

Patrick
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/