[Harp-L] Re: [Harp-L} 14 year old harp in Colorado

 It's so important to continue the tradition of harmonica playing with our young girls and boys. It was especially wonderful for me to have the opportunity to be part of the introduction of George Miklas' daughter to the harmonica community at the Buckeye Festival. Janalyn chose the song "Alleycat" and I accompanied her on the chord. Both of us practiced at home and then met for our first rehearsal together at Buckeye. I came up with our name "The Harpettes" and had matching tee shirts made up that she loved! I was so impressed with her dedication and commitment to doing her part as lead player on the chromatic harmonica. We practiced about 5 times. When I asked her what she liked about playing she said to me: "I have a passion for the harmonica!".  I was amazed that this 11 year old young lady was so mature and focused! What a pleasure it was to work with her! Janalyn did an outstanding job in our act with The HarpBeats and played her best she ever did!. I was glad that the screeching sound from some feedback didn't throw her at all and that I was able to continue through it,also. Janalyn will be playing with The Harpettes and HarpBeats once again at our 38th GSHC Festival from Nov.18-20 at The Holiday Inn , Hasbrouck Heights, NJ.  Her interest in the harmonica is understandable coming from a musical home where both her mother and father play the harmonica, sing beautifully and have degrees in music. In fact, George's mother and father belonged to The Steel Valley Harmonica Club in PA. .The gene is there and is certainly being nourished!  Playing the harmonica should be something that we all can promote in order to keep it alive. As President of the GSHC, one of our goals is to actively encourage children to take up the instrument  For the first time at our festival last year, we offered a class in beginner harmonica for children and will do so again! Think harmonica!

Val Redler,
President, GSHC
Co-chair 2010 GSHC Festival