So, for instance, in Hole 5 on a C harp, with Blow E and Draw F, you'll get a slightly flat F# overblow, nearly one semitone above Draw F that produces the note, and only one whole tone above the E. Same thing for the overdraw in Hole 7, where you have Blow C and Draw B. The Blow C produces the slightly flat C# overdraw, which is only a whole tone above Draw B.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa

Resident expert at bluesharmonica.com

Harmonica instructor, jazzschool.com

Columnist, harmonicasessions.com

--- On Thu, 5/6/10, Cljdm@xxxxxxx <Cljdm@xxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Cljdm@xxxxxxx <Cljdm@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] overblows-overbends?
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 6:20 AM

Hey all,

What is the difference between a overblow and a overbend. I know a overblow
 kicks the note in the blow hole up a step and one half. What does a
overbend  accomplish?

I can get the standard draw bends on any hole (although my intonation can
always use work), and I can get the blowbends on 8,9 and 10 (although the 10
 gives me some trouble with the middle bend). But overblows are still a
mystery  to me. With I hit the 6 overblow it sounds like a cat on fire. So I
mainly work  on standard bends and tone. I will die happy if I can even enter
in the  slightest way,  the outer universe of Paul Butterfield, Paul DeLay,
or any  of the greats I have been studying though the years.

Best,

Chris Mastakas