Re: [Harp-L] Is Howard Levy the most technically advanced harmonica player?

Dear harp-l,

I will say that Mr. Levy is ONE of the most technically advanced players I have ever heard but
even he is subject to bad intonation once in awhile.  Especially using the OB technique he
uses.  On "Prairie Home Companion" once he struggled through "Stars and Stripes Forever".
He got close but they weren't playing hand grenades.

There are so many technically advanced players that never grace the pages of harp-l its
ridiculous.  Go on U-Tube and listen to Antonio Serrano play Flamenco harmonica with Paco
De Lucia.  He was on tour throughout Europe a few years back.  Then he turns around and
plays straight ahead Jazz better than most in the world.  When you start talking about
technically advanced players, you better include chromatic players as well as everyone else.  If
you do not include chromatic players in a discussion like that, the discussion isn't even worth
having.

This is because to understand theory is to become a better player technically.  Howard is a
better piano player than he is a harmonica player.  That's because he understands music
theory...and not in positions either.  He understands it as it should be understood, the way
technically advanced players have been understanding music theory for hundreds of years.

Roger Gonzales MA/Mus.Ed.
Fresno,CA.