Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic combs cracking....

The wooden combs are not so much affected by temperature as by humidity.  The cold wrings all of the moisture out of the outside air.  Then when it warms up inside, the relative humidity goes very low.  This draws the moisture from the wood and makes it shrink and crack.  The Philipines are probably very humid and Phoenix is definitely very dry.

There are several  ways to solve your problem:
1. Buy a Seydel Chromatic Deluxe, or Saxony harps with plastic or aluminum combs.
2. Replace the cracked wooden combs with machined Corian combs from Chris Reynolds and make maintenance easier with screws instead of nails.
    See  http://builderofstuff.com/270combs.html
3. Repair your harps and keep them in a box with a musical instrument humidifier, made for guitars and violins.  The old way was to keep a slice of apple in the instrument  case.

Vern