[Harp-L] amazing grace - bent note clarification

The hymn used for Amazing Grace is based on the pentatonic and the notes that are not used are the F# in G and Bb in F. Of course, they are not the 4th note in both scales.

I was thinking of playing the piece mostly in the middle octave -- not in the first octave.

What I REALLY meant is Amazing Grace is playable without bent notes -- so therefore, bent notes are not necessary in that context -- unless someone has a different version.

Of course, any song playable in holes 4-7 is playable in the first octave -- provided bent notes are used for the missing F and A on a C harp.

Where is the bent note(s) in Amazing Grace?

The topic came up during a discussion at Buckeye.

I've been playing Amazing Grace for years on a C harp in the keys of C, G and F (1st, 2nd 12th positions) and have always found it easy to teach beginners. It works in the keys of G and F because pentatonic based hymn does not use the 7th note of the G scale (F# in key of G) and 4th note in F (Bb in key of F).

I didn't remember where I originally found the tune (based on the hymn/form New Britain) so I searched through my print archives and on the web -- finding noting different from what I already had. [A jazz guitar version has some accidentals (sharps/flats) but that is to be expected with jazz.]

Phil