Re: [Harp-L] 4th position, a blues overview

A couple of observations:

Sharpshooting 3 hole inhale full step bend is not that difficult, but it does take a time commitment. I notice that a lot of harmonica players seem impatient with these slightly more advanced techniques. You could set a goal of mastering this one note by spending a few minutes each day on a focused regimen for one year (or less). Once you "own" this note, you will have it for life.

Also, the changes in breath aspect will bother those that let the harmonica dictate to them the lines created by virtue of the placement of notes on a diatonic. I call this letting the harmonica play you rather than you playing the harmonica. One can eventually tell the harmonica what you want it to do without so many limitations based on breath direction. This will not give you total freedom at any velocity, but will open up your ability to create musical ideas based on musical ideas.

Regarding the 6th hole; on paper it looks bad.  Your tonic note, a note
you need to use often in 4th, is only available cleanly (without bending) on
the 6th and 10th holes of the instrument.  If you are primarily a cross or
2nd position player, you want that note lower on the harp.  Unfortunately,
now you have to sharpshoot a full-step bend on the 3rd hole to get it.  And
that bend could wind up being sharp or flat if you're not careful.
   Another drawback.  If you do make an attempt to do some blues playing in
this position, you might not feel comfortable with the way the notes are
layed out.  Joe Filisko once told me that he was bothered by all the changes
in breath here.  Legato and speed are affected sometimes when you find
yourself constantly having to draw, blow, draw, blow through phrases.