Re: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking/tongue switching

Le 09/03/2010 17:20, John F. Potts a écrit :
i can tongue block, but I've had a difficult time learning to tongue switch (play a single hole on the left of my mouth as easily as on the right). I'm actually a mixed embouchure player and usually LP, but I've been trying to learn tongue switching for the exercise.

Anyway, after finally starting to get the hang of it, I discovered that's it a WHOLE LOT EASIER to get deep bends out of draw 2 and draw 3 opening up the left side of the mouth than it was from the right. Maybe all you accomplished tongue blockers already knew this, but it was quite a discovery for me since the difference is so dramatic, Live and learn.
That is discussed by M. Filisko himself! I asked him the very same question last October in Germany and his answer was crystal clear: deep bends of D2 are to be TBed. On D1, you tongue switch. I dared to disagree: like John, I get way better bends with the left side of my mouth on these two holes. But what struck recently is that the "flow" of the music was easier to keep if one follows Joe's gospel. Live and learn, huh?
Sunnyside