Re: [Harp-L] What's so bad about micing to a PA?

What is so bad abut mic'ing your amp?  Nothing!  Even the biggest honking
amps need to be mic'ed in some venues.  When I saw Charlie Musselwhite last
summer at the Greeley Blues Jam his 100-watt amp was mic'ed.  (picture
here:  http://www.davisbluesproject.com/pics/redknob2.jpg)  When he played
at the Toad Tavern in Denver last fall (a medium-sized club) his SJ Cruncher
was mic'ed.

Even big amps need to be mic'ed in bigger clubs.  The sound is more even and
balanced if it runs through the PA.

Some players prefer the tone of large heavy amps, and it is worth it to them
to lug them around.  I prefer smaller amps for several reasons, and I'd
rather use a good line out than a microphone most of the time.  It makes for
quick and easy setup with tone the is predictable and repeatable.  A
perfectly placed microphone can get a better sound than a line out
sometimes, but good line out can be 99% as good as a mic, and way simpler.

Here are the issues to consider:  With a smaller amp you can sometimes have
a problem hearing yourself (even if you are mic'ed or lined out) if the band
lacks volume discipline, and if there are no monitors on the stage.  That
describes a typical blues jam pretty well.  In those situations a bigger amp
is great.

If your band plays larger clubs and venues, you will be mic'ed up no matter
what amp you bring, so you don't really need a monster amp (unless you are
married to its tone).  The blues harp amp cottage industry has moved toward
smaller amps for exactly this purpose.  These amps have great tone and a
line out, and weigh 40 lbs or less.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog