Re: [Harp-L] Ken Deifik on Craig Ferguson - YouTube

Steve Merola wrote:

You sound great Ken, very tasty

Thanks so much, Steve. Hopefully I'll be able to post the Grand Old Opry appearance soon.

...one question. Was the drummer using a suitcase as a bass drum???

He sure was. The drummer is Sinclair Lott. I suggested him for this gig because he has been so much fun to work with in the past - tremendous imagination. We did a gig with Dave Hall a few years ago together, and he generally used brushes, beautifully, and on a couple of songs just used his hands, and it was just fantastic. He's mainly a jazz guy, and he also worked with Frank Zappa. He can leave the black pages at home when he's working with us, however. This music is obviously pretty simple. He has perfect, swinging taste. With Putter Smith on bass and Sinc on drums we can really float and blast ahead at the same time.

I'm very pleased with the rhythmic figure I came up with, originally for the recording. However, here's something weird about it. When we work with a drummer the figure works perfectly to drive things and add another layer of swing.

However, the few times I've performed the song with Dave without a drummer I've had to alter the figure, or else it drags a bit instead of kicking things up.

Ya learn something new at least once every decade, ya know? -K