Re: [Harp-L] Re: Why Charlie's Cruncher was backwards, and other stuff

joe leone wrote:

>On Jun 24, 2010, at 2:37 AM, Greg Heumann wrote:>
>
>> I emailed Charlie and asked him. Here's what he said:
>>
>> "They picked up the band at 5:15am. When we got to the studio they
>> had it all set up like they wanted. A Times Square TV studio like
>> that with an audience and all is a very busy and complicated place.
>> I was curious about why they had my amp turned around, but there
>> was no time to even discuss it.
>
>Wrong. You ask:  Why is my amp turned around? Takes 2.652
>seconds.....I timed it.

Joe, I guess you haven't done a lot of television.  In almost all cases, the techs for the show set the rules for what gets done and how, and you don't get very far by arguing with them.  If they say "face the amp in that direction," that's what happens.  TV shows run on tight schedules, and there's almost never much room for negotiation.  The exceptions involve Big Big Stars and lots of advance planning.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick