[Harp-L] Musselwhite

 You got to hand it to Charlie.  You gotta love charlie.  The other morning he played his harmonica on more kitchen tv sets than you and I can can count. I think his tone was probably "wicked tinny"! I didn't hear it but I did hear a lot of Tom Waits and the five blind boys of Alabama over the last few years where he kicked serious ass. There is no harmonica player that has been more present in popular music than he over the last 20 years. I swear I am no fan of INXS  but the harmonica on Suicide Blonde rocked ...Did you hear "Way down in the hole" (The theme song for the 1st season of the Wire) Pony by Tom Waits. Some seriously beautiful playing by a "blues" harmonica on some outstanding mainstream pop... or all this great sort of alternative music. He's my hero.
  Back in the day ('81) I wasn't the biggest fan, and one night in Berkley when I saw him live I had to ask him about his tone and he told me he
 didn't need no fuckin amp he just played through the PA. It was great, I was horrified and offended; and as a result I had a total 'tude towards his playing for years. But he just kept popping up on all these great recordings. He won me over. And today I stand in awe.