Re: [Harp-L] Marine Band self improvements

Cljdm@xxxxxxx wrote:
<
<I like Marine Bands. Grew up on them and seem to always go back to them.
<but they do lack what some more consciously made brands have built into them
<out  of the box. So here is what I have resorted to when I get a new stock
<MB.
<6. Raise up the the  back of the cover plates with a metal  3' crimp tool
<($34 at home depot).  Can someone explain the benefit of  doing this. I do it
<because I see the backs of custom harps raised up. Also the  pre war harps
<have the back covers raised. . So I figured I would do it too. It  seems it
<would allow the harp to project more sound? Hard for me to tell.

As explained by several members of this list more learned in the physics of sound production than I am, the difference is basically zero in terms of increased volume. (Dunno how that fits with what I perceive to be the noticeably increased loudness of a Special 20 fitted with Turbo Lids.  But I guess those Turbolid covers are more than just "opened up"--they're specifically shaped by a scientist to push those decibels out.)

However, opened-up covers certainly look cool, and I feel louder when I'm playing a harp with opened up covers. That's worth something.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick