[Harp-L] Curtis blows'em away on harp! (was Approaching Jason's Tone...)

Curtis Salgado plays some of the meanest, down and dirty, sweet and soulful blues harp I have ever heard.  He's got a spare, tough soulfulness that reminds me of Jimmy Reed, and yet is uniquely Curtis, with refined harp playing and a crooner's sweet timing.

I can't speak to Curtis' regular land-based stage performances, but on the Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise he plays a few regular gigs then jams a whole bunch.  A generous player and a good guy who's been to some pretty dark places so he knows the path there and back, and it's in his music.

In his regular LRBC gigs with his amazing bands Curtis plays harp on several songs, probably less than half, but at the mindblowing late-night jams - where there are plenty other world-class singers too - Curtis plays more harp, and it's a sweet treat indeed!

As for Jason's tone, oh gimme a break, everyone's tone is just personal and unique.   Hear him play acoustic into a shot glass, or through his vast array of gadgets and HG50, his own tone shines through regardless of amp - or none.

I will attest that HARPGEAR AMPS are great! (I have an HG30.)   The HG is very malleable and can achieve down 'n dirty or pretty clean, as you prefer.  It's cool not being stuck in an almost uniform level of distortion, such as with many amps, like my great li'l 4 watt Alamo, which I use only sparingly, like a good spice.

Anyway, aside from working to expanding my pallette of tones and styles, and despite my persistent if unconscious playing of blues cliches, I never try to sound like someone else, even if I could!

-Dave "uniquely hackneyed" Fertig