[Harp-L] New Harmonica products

I did some checking and was basically told not to waste my time trying to patent any of my harmonica related ideas.
I'm not so concerned about making zero money on ideas as I'm with getting credited for bringing the ideas to the harmonica community.
I've shared my ideas with other harp techs and players over the years and finally decided to market the ideas before someone else takes credit for it.
I have some very enterprising friends. They've suggested several times to market the products so I guess I should take their hints.

I'm looking to market the products sometime in July.

First item.
Blow reed lifting tool. This will work for both diatonic and chromatic harps. All the ones I've seen require you to lift the reed from the inside and are awkward to use when trying to place something under the reed to hold it up at the same time. Despite the fumbling it's ok on some harps but when the reed chambers in the comb become narrow most of the reed lift tools become useless, ie, on upper CBH reeds slots and some custom combs.My lift tool raises the reed from the OUTSIDE, pulling it up so you can slide your draw reed tool under it to tune with a file. No need to accidentally jab windsavers on the inside trying to find the front of a reed to lift it. I've used this device for over 8 years now. When the tip wears down (after several 100 lifts) just cut it with a good pair of scissors and you are back in business. Depending on the angle and length of the reed you can either use it to support the reed while filing or slip a thicker piece of metal under the reed for support.

The next 2 items are for chromatics only

Wood comb sealant
Like most of you I've experimented with different sealants for wood combs, both diatonic and chromatic. Early experiments involved applying a thin layer of beeswax and sealing it by air brushing shellac
over it. It wasn't long until I realized the 99% water-free alcohol in the shellac was working against the beeswax to dissolve it and dry out the combs even more. I've since scraped using any shellac on combs and came up with a formula for a beeswax paste that can be spread on a chromatic comb with a small paint brush. No need to boil wax and dunk the combs. All you need to do is paint it on,
set a blow dryer on high to open the wood pores and allow the paste to soak into the wood. Once the high sheen is gone you can wipe off any excess and reattach your plates. The general consistency of the paste is between peanut butter and Vaseline. If the paste starts to harden just put it in a microwave for about 2 minutes and it's good to go. The paste is 100% food grade safe. Unless you are allergic to beeswax there should be no problems using it.

NOTE: this paste will not work on diatonics. Wear and tear from tongue blocking will pull the thin layer of wax off the harp. It's best to dip and dunk diatonic combs in hot wax.

Springless Slides
This is the idea I ran across Pat Missin several years ago. I didn't feel there was a need for it until I ran into all the damage springs can cause on harmonicas. I decided it was time to modernize a 100 year old idea.

Too strong of a spring will break through the wall of a wood or plastic comb chromatic over time. They cause friction noises and squeaking sounds. When a spring is engaged there is a brief point where it lifts the slide and pushes it against the U channel causing friction at the spring hole and between the slide and U channel. Slides aren't made with the same material as in the prewar era and don't stand up to wear and tear as well. I've been seeing a lot of plastic comb 16 hole chromes with oblong wear marks in the slide spring hole. The wearing of the spring hole over time prevents the slide from coming back to its full rest state. If your chromes seem breathy lately check the slide for an oblong wear mark. Internal springs also don't allow you to maximize as airtight a fit as you could have without them.

What I subbed for springs are magnets. Magnets allow the slide to float in the channel. After buying a couple $100 worth of small magnets I've been able to narrow down which magnets work best on a specific chromatic. So far I've replaced the springs on my pre-war Chromonika III, 4 270's, a plastic comb 280 and a gold and black shell CX-12. I may offer one for CBH's and Meisterklasse chromatic in the coming months. I've yet to test those harps.

Minor modifications are needed to use them on wood and plastic comb chromes. However it is easy to switch back to springs if you decide to later using the original parts.
The CX-12 requires some serious mods to the slide and comb that are non-reversible.

I'm not offering the magnets for sale, rather the modification to your chromatic using magnets. Anyone can pull the springs and slap magnets in their place. What I do is flatten the face of the comb then retool the slide assembly afterwards for maximum airtightness. Without the spring in the equation it is easier get a better fit of the entire mouthpiece assembly.

Right now I'm working on slide button to fit over the outside magnet to make it less obvious. If not, the magnets are still stylish enough to leave as is, but the craftsman in me would like to provide a more finished product if possible.

Michael Easton
www.harmonicarepair.com