To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:39 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Miles Davis, So What / position exploration / harp

I transcribed Miles's solo on this piece from "Kind of Blue" for my book "Jazz Harp." I didn't bother transcribing for the diatonic, because in 1979-80 (when I was writing the book) it didn't seem likely that anyone would try to execute the material on diatonic.

However, if I were going to do so now, I would probably use a C diatonic and a Db diatonic, both in 3rd position. The original is in D minor/Eb minor, and the mode on both chords is Dorian, which suits 3rd position just fine. (The solo is a very nice study in how to use chord extensions.)

The problem with this approach is that there are a few passages--mostly in the transitions from Eb minor back to D minor--where the lines get VERY chromatic, not at all easy to execute on any diatonic. Given that, and given also that the tune is the essence of cool jazz, and the chromatic harmonica is a superb instrument for cool jazz (not to mention for tunes that are in D minor and Eb minor), I'd just play it on the chromatic.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick