[Harp-L] Re: Miles Davis, So What / position exploration / harp

Yeah, using 2 harps (C and Db) is how I've been doing it. The idea of using i harp (Bb) is intriguing. But, as I understand it, the head of tune has 16 measures of D dorian minor scale tones a step apart, modulates to Eb dorian minor scale tones a step apart for a 8 measures, and then modulates back to D minor dorian scale tones.

I think the Eb scale tones that I play on the Db harp are Ab and Gb which don't lay out that well on a Bb harp. Also, Bb is NOT part of the D dorian scale--it would be the flat sixth and that scale has a major sixth. Right off the top I'm having trouble transposing the parts i usually play to a Bb harp, but, there may be other note selections that will work--I'm not sure.