RE: [Harp-L] Why you should learn chromatic

> Is it really possible to bend, blow, draw, over blow, and over draw, the
> entire chromatic scale in all 12 keys on one diatonic harp?
---This is a subject of some contention here on  harp-l :-) Here's my opinion, for what it's worth: Yes, it can be done and if you're gonna play jazz on the diatonic it's a good thing to do  because of the way jazz tunes modulate. HOWEVER, I don't think it's practical to try to play everything on, say, a C diatonic in the same way you would on a C chromatic. The fact is that  the timbre of many of the notes produced via bends, overblows, and overdraws simply isn't what you want to play a ballad at a slow tempo in, say, Ab on a C diatonic.  Even Howard Levy switches harps, though he  comes closest to being able to play fluidly in all 12 keys on a single diatonic.
WVa Bob