[Harp-L] Jamming Etiquette/Open Mic

I have never played at an open mic and, in fact, don't know where or how to
find open mic opportunities in NYC. (I've done some research,
unsuccessfully.) Even the one I do know is very expensive (need to become a
member) and, from what I could see, there would be little patience for a
less-than-proficient player like me. (It's a studio on 32st Street.)
Admittedly, I am shy about playing and 72 years old.) Any suggestions on the
locations of any open-mic jams in any of the five boroughs of NYC would be
appreciated. (NYC dwellers, like me, often don't have wheels.) Much thanks.