[Harp-L] ASCAP

HashBB said:  I have one question. How does ASCAP or anyone else
know what songs we're or weren't performed, and how do they
know without knowing this info which artists get paid what amount
of performance fees?

Somebody correct me if I am wrong here but as I understand it:

Broadcast media have traffic departments that account for every second of
air time, commercials, music, other programming, bill it out as required and
report licensed usage as necessary.  It is my understanding that most of
this is automated and computerized these days. ASCAP/BMI etc. know what is
played because of the traffic reports and because their investigators can
monitor radio stations that they suspect of playing unlicensed music.

Live venues are required to buy a performance license with the cost based
roughly upon expected audience/revenue.  ASCAP/BMI monitor what is played in
these venues by sending undercover investigators to spot check the venues.
They then make the fines stiff enough so that one proven infraction can wipe
out the profit from weeks, months or even years of unlicensed performance.
The courts are usually very accommodating to them on these cases.

Bill Kumpe