Re: [Harp-L] RE: public domain / ASCAP lawsuits

In general, songs published before 1923 are in the public domain.   Best
bet is a copy of the sheet music showing the 1923 or earlier copyright date so
you can prove its copyright date. Otherwise, chances are the songs are
still under copyright protection -- unless the owner forget to renew them along
the line. Some songs started out as instrumental and then lyrics were added
-- after 1923. So you can use the instrumental -- but not the lyrics.

Some songs are simply reworked versions of classical music compositions,
others use old melodies like Londonderry Aire for Danny Boy or the melody of
the Civil War hit Aura Lee recast as the alma mater of West Pointe and melody
of Love Me Tender from Elvis. These are generally safe.

You have to be careful with so-called traditional songs. "Walk Right In"
was a big hit for the Rooftop Singers in the folk era -- and then the group
was sued because the song was written by Gus Cannon and recorded by Cannon's
Jug Stompers in 1929.   Cannon collected the royalties for the hit and got a
contract with Stax records, it says here.
Hope this clears up a bit of the cloudy issue.
Phil
Always consult with a lawyer first to be sure. Or Harry Fox.