[Harp-L] Re: Why don't most diatonic harp players read? Harp-L Digest, Vol 83, Issue 59

Speaking from personal experience, if you want to learn to read music then for the reasons spelt out already about positions and transposition, the diatonic harp is NOT an easy instrument to learn upon. I learned to read with a guitar and, later, a keyboard. Not that I can read well, but now I can learn a tune on the moothie from the music stave. I could get nowhere with this before learning guitar. I remember finding out once that at music school students are encouraged to learn an instrument that is easily linked to the music stave and where you can see harmony, such as piano or guitar. This is a good idea for improving musical skills, even if your primary instrument is the harmonica. It IS easier to read if you can play chromatically on a diatonic. This means mastering overblows or, in my case, having a couple of XB-40s.

Incidentally, I don't find tab (guitar or harmonica) that much easier to read than standard notation. They all involve turning print into muscle movements.

Richard
On 20 Jul 2010, at 12:50, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:08:53 -0400
From: "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] How we learn Blues Harp
To: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Why don?t most diatonic players read?  Well, assuming they want to,
(which may be an unwarranted assumption) the problem is
transposition.  Since you change  harps and positions depending on
the material when you are playing diatonic, it is almost impossible
to associate a certain written note with a particular hole or
location on the diatonic harmonica.  This isn?t a problem on the
chromatic because you ordinarily use a single instrument and the
relationship of the holes on the instrument to the written notes
stays the same.

I can sort of read music.  At least i can read well enough to learn a
tune from a chart if you give me enough time.  Can't sight read,
though.  In order to play from a chart i need to convert the notes to
degrees of the scale and then decide what key harp to use in what
position.  I know which holes correspond to what degrees of the scale
in which position, so I don't have to struggle to transpose if i do
it this way.  And it IS a lot easier for me to learn a tune this way
than just from listening to a recording. But unless i am familiar
with what the tune is supposed to sounds like, I almost always need a
recording to guide me as I learn a tune from sheet music.  I can't
usually do it working from a chart by itself.

JP

Message: 4