Re: [Harp-L] How we learn Blues Harp

In a message dated 21/07/2010 12:23:34 Malay Peninsula Standard Time, Vern
Smith writes:

<< I posit that about 60% of the value of standard notation is to  display
timing>>

Vern is 100% right!

In my opinion, a regular score is far more useful than any "tab"... If you
are not yet a "music reader" concentrate on learning "the dots" before even
 thinking about tablature!

Most songs and tunes, indeed music in general, is available printed as a
regular music score. This music has LOADS of information that simply isn't
available from tablature.

Again, I tend to use a score simply as a guide to what I'm going to play,
this sometimes does not go down too well with music directors, and orchestra
 conductors! I also mostly play my music with my eyes tight closed, which
makes sight reading difficult in any event.

I'm a truly terrible "sight reader", I am dyslexic which doesn't help, and
in any event I have no idea which "hole number" I'm blowing or drawing
while I'm playing my harp. I simply hear the note in my head, and play it.
That's not being "clever", it's simply the way I have always played  harmonica.

Best wishes,

John"Whiteboy" Walden
English harmonica player,
Cebu City,