Re: [Harp-L] How we learn Blues Harp

I disagree about the reported dearth of blues notation. There is scads of
it around -- it just isn't targeted at blues harp players who can't read
music (there is NO tab).

There are blues song books, blues fake books and blues collections. Many
guitar books have music notation (in addition to guitar tab). Just look at the
notes.

All of David Barrett's books have music notation. This comes in handy when
trying to figure out how the tablature works out.

The Willie Dixon Book
 The Book of the Blues
The Blues Songbook
The Blues Fakebook
The Blues Bag
She's Got the Blues (songs made famous by blueswomen)
The Bessie Smith Songbook
Folk Blues
Handy's Blues An Antholgy

Just to name some I own that I can see in the bookshelf across the room.

Some of these books contain piano arrangements; others feature guitar
arrangements. But they all contain a melody line and chord names.

Add to this rock 'n' roll sheet music collections (piano & guitar) and you
will have even more blues. That's because in the 50s anything with a guitar
or jumping sax was considered rock 'n' roll. When in fact a good portion of
this early rock was really blues -- just look at the I IV V chord form and
the repeating 12 bar sections. The other issue is that the people who put
these books together wouldn't know a blues if it bit them on the toe -- so they
put it in the rock 'n' roll book.

MOREOVER, the Jamey Aebersold collection has several volumes devoted to
blues -- all with notation and chord changes. Plus backing tracks.

How does somebody make the jump from being a nonreader to becoming a
reader? Use the Charlie Musselwhite Method.   Get some fakebooks with some songs
you already know in the key of C. Use the tab pattern rendered in a harmonica
method book or look on the web for that chart that shows the note layout
for all 12 keys and hole number (4 blow is C on a C harp). Charlie just
created his own tab until he didn't have to write the numbers for the notes
anymore.

Use songs that you already know, like "Saints" or "Old Folks at Home" so
you can tell right away if your tab is working. The songs will sound like
they're supposed to.

What about other keys? You can start with songs in the key of C -- no
sharps, not flats. And when the song does extend into sharps or flats you can
located them and mark them as bent notes/overblows or notes requiring the
button on a chromatic. Or an XB-40 that bends on all the notes, blow or draw.

James Major has written a series of 12 books (one for each key) that shows
the note layout for positions 1-6 and 12 on each harp.   The letter-size
books cost $7.95 each. Which means you can get the whole set for $96 -- that
way you never have to GUESS or transpose the notes from the C harp to F or G.
 There are some web sites that will tell you the same information. But I
find it's a lot easier to flip a page than click a mouse. But whatever works
for you.

As for harmonica method books: I've been collecting harmonica books from
Tony Glover's works (which always puzzled me) to the current day and just
about all of them feature notation. Jon Gindick's do not and David Harp, as I
recall. But they are about the only exceptions. I can't recall a
Centerstream, Mel Bay or Hal Leonard that lacks notation. There is the Sonny Terry book
with the impossible tablature that I defy anyone to figure out.

You can find scads of harp tabulator on the Internet, but that probably has
more to do with people trying to skirt the copyright laws (tablature is not
really piracy is it???) that would follow if people post sheet music.

Don't anybody misunderestimate me about my view of music notation. If I
could figure out a song from listening to a recording, I surely would. I can't.
I ernvy the people who can do that! For me, I'd rather sit down and play
the song through a couple of times and then play another and so on.

Some people can learn songs off records. I can't. Life is too short. I need
all the help I can get.
I just open up one of my books, look at the tune to see if it is playable
on a blues harp. Will bent notes handle the accidentals (extra sharps or
flats) or will I need to go to the chromatic (SlideHarp a Richter layout or
solo tuned chromatic) to perform the song?

If I want to memorize the song, I simply play it through until I have it
memorized.

One of the famous pro players on this list once said that learning music
wasn't any harder than Third Grade Math.

The real reason most harmonica players don't learn to read music is they
think it takes too long. When they can sit down and figure out a few songs,
they are all set. Learning to read takes a little longer. It's easy to get
started and they don't see any benefit in going to the next level.

Why do many people use the two-finger hunt-and-peck method to type on the
computer instead of touch typing? They can sit down and hunt for the letters
and that meets their needs. Learning to touch type on a QWERTY keyboard
takes longer.

The fact that previous harp players all learned and played by ear is
something most harp players find out about later and helps them feel good about
not reading. Look at the Walters, they didn't read. Why should I?

Don't get me wrong, Bob: I think you're on the right track. Mike Turk is
one of the best. And jazz is a great way to learn music theory. I also agree
that overblows can be problematic. Some people can execute them flawlessly in
blues and jazz, but for many overblows are simply beyond reach.

Hope this helps.
Phil