[Harp-L] Re: Subject: Re: Dumping on other harmonica players' Videos for no good reason...

I love blues...and jazz...but I am personally a rocker at heart.  My
set at the SPAH blowoff is going to be a mix or originals and covers
and none of them are going to be straight blues.  But, related to the
has always been a modern blues band, but I am moving away from that
project and am fronting my own band again which is largely rock based
(sorta Blues Traveler meets Derek Trucks).

When I started getting songs together, I really felt that if I didn't
show that I could play blues, I would be doing my harmonica
"reputation" (not that there is much there to begin with) damage by
not doing some straight blues.  Eventually I realized my motivations
in picking songs were coming from the wrong place.  I applaud this
dude for doing what he's doing.  I don't need to like it, but I can
respect the effort he has put into this and accept it for what it is.
I am unsure of his motivations, but share the connection of wanting to
put the harmonica into not-so-ordinary contexts.

In my fantasy land of make believe, I've always been blowing harp in
place of Duane Allman, lol.  Not to say that I am in this position,
but I've always had a soft spot for people trying to be different on
harmonica.  Even when it sucks, I always enjoy the effort and intent.
It is hard to be different and good.  It is much easier to copy what
is already judged as "good".

I am even willing to admit I enjoy Lady Gaga and her schtick as I
think her attitude closely resembles the lyrics to the Blues Traveler
song "Hook".