Re: [Harp-L] Re: YouTube -Pew harmonica player plays pop tunes

On Jul 10, 2010, at 2:50 PM, toddg wrote:

I think people are being kind of hard on the guy .

Not me. I think he's great. Licks are a little repetitious but I think that's the tune and not him. I liked his starting out with the Ennio Morricone slur from 'Once Upon a Time in the West'. A little later the 'You Belong to the City' riff. Oh, and the black 'Keds' tennies. Actually he resembles someone I know. At least he dresses nice. AND no gimmicks.

Whammer Jammer is a very hard song to do  .And for a young player he's
not that  bad .

Well I play diatonic, not really a blues player, and I wouldn't mind being half as good.

He is a Rock/ Alternative /Heavy metal player !

Right, different style than some are used to.

check out his live stuff it seems to work for the crowd .

At least the kid is getting the gigs. And I'll bet he's getting paid too. I know guys who are beating up the highways...for tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRqg9d758p8
Not my style but it works for him and the young crowd he plays for .

Not exactly my cup of tea, but as a judge I have to look at all the evidence, and do so impartially. I give him a (big) pass.

smokey-joe