Re: [Harp-L] YouTube -new harmonica player plays pop tunes

On Jul 9, 2010, at 11:54 AM, Shelly wrote:

Strong roots? I don't understand. As for the program, I actually preferred another British program called 'Super Sonics'.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

You probably were, I just didn't read it well.

Strong blues and R&B roots in their music. As opposed to groups like the Beatles, Dave Clark Five, the Hollies, etc and many others in the first wave of the British Invasion. The Yardbirds, considered part of the second wave, were one of the groups whose music was truly based in blues/R&B and it showed strongly.

Ok, that makes sense. Second wave. See, I was having a hard time trying to get a handle of how a British band would be into R&B from a roots standpoint.

What did he die from?

He was practicing guitar in his basement. There are two versions. One is that there was a water leak in the basement, the other is that the guitar was not properly grounded. In any event, he was electrocuted. His body was found by his young son. Horrible for the family. A big loss for the music world.

Oh MY God, I had no idea. That would certainly be traumatic.