Re: [Harp-L] Best harp amp for under $500

>On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Tim Bete <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to buy my first amp but don't want to spend very much. What's
>> the best harp amp for under $500?

$500 will buy you a 5 to 15 watt amp with an 8" to 12" speaker.  You can search the Harp-l archives at harp-l.org for recommendations.  One frequently recommended setup is the Epiphone Galaxy Junior with a half-stack cabinet, which is within your budget.

As an alternative, consider a keyboard amp with an amp modeler like one of the Digitech RPs.  A number of the people on this list are using these and can provide comments on their experiences if they choose.

If you go the amp modeler route, your costs are as follows:
Keyboard amp by Peavey (KB3, 60 watt, 12" speaker) = $298 new (musiciansfriend.com)
Digitech RP355 (top of the line amp modeler, why not?) = $200 new
Richard Hunter patchset for RP355 = $25

That's slightly over your $500 budget ($523 to be exact), but in addition to a wide range of amped sounds, you also get a lot of effects (like reverb, delay, etc.) that would run you in the neighborhood of $75-100 apiece if purchased separately. You also have an amp (the Peavey) that will do clean sounds very, very well, as opposed to the sounds you're going to get from a small tube amp.

You can reduce the overall expense by choosing an RP255 instead of a 355 (which cuts the price by $50, at the expense of few amp and cabinet model, FX, and less EQ flexibility), or getting a used RP350 (which is the same as the RP355 minus a few amp and cabinet models).  I wouldn't get an RP155--that device has no expression pedal, and you really want one.

regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick