[Harp-L] chromatic vs diatonic

I love both instruments, but I tend to go for the easy way technically in order to get to the musical feeling quicker. This means when it comes to folk, blues and country I tend to go with the diatonic and for melodies, jazz, classical I go to the chromatic.

One of the big advantages of playing the chromatic in a melodic situation is to SAVE TIME in that you don't have to figure out how to play the tune - no positions, choice of harps, bends or overblows, just play. I can read down 50 tunes in an afternoon and be working on expression right away - this way I can choose which tune sounds the best to include in repertoire without spending much time on the tune. I also can figure out which tunes might sound better on the diatonic.

Players should learn both just for the fun of it. Even Stevie, Toots, and Galison can play diatonic; Musselwhite, Jellyroll, Singer, Turk, Pararozzi, Hoover, DePino all play chromatic. Lots of people crossover and end up wih a choice.

Both are harmonicas!

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com