[Harp-L] Best thing ever sai

In the '80s i was playing quite a bit with some hard rocking authentic blues players who were older guys originally from the deep South (U.S.). On a couple of different occasions, a much older black couple (different people each time) went out of their way to come over to me after a gig and said "Boy, you play good harp. We really like how you play." I considered that to be a pretty high compliment. One of them said, "Boy, you sound real good. You make me feel like they used to down home." (referring to the South)--which I found particularly gratifying since i do not play blues in a particularly traditional style.

A few months ago I was playing at a club where i sit in regularly and a young guy came up to me in between sets and said, "I like it when you play, man. I've heard you before. Listening to you makes me feel good inside." You know, that may be the best compliment I can ever aspire to get. I think if a player can touch his audience emotionally, that's a very high achievement.. The guy who said this to me was being very sincere and appreciative when he said it, which certainly made me feel good inside.

The compliments from the older black folks gave me confidence that it was possible to be an authentic blues player even though i played in blues in my own style. The compliment from the young guy gave me confidence that i was able to express emotion through my playing that communicated to the audience. After all, as far as i am concerned, playing music is fundamentally about expressing something that can't be said in words, but that other people understand. If I'm able do that, I'm pretty happy about it.

JP