[Harp-L] Best thing(s) ever said!

Dear List,

I keep a mental list of my best compliments.  I cherish them, because it provides balance to my mental "it's never good enough" philosophy.

I suppose you could read this list as an ego trip.  Please don't.  I'm not really too full of myself.  I still have huge confidence issues, and I really don't live up to my potential.

1.  I was 19 or 20.  Bob McGraw said:  "I've been playing harmonica since I was 18 (I think he was 35 at the time)  If I could play like that, at that age, I would've been a pro."  That inspired me so much.

2. I went to a blues jam in Oakland during an interview trip in 2005.  I was one of two people in the club who were not of African decent. I was getting a lot of "what are you doing here?" looks, but after I played, the bartender, who was an older African American woman, came up to me and said, "Baby, do you want some fried chicken and potato salad? "

3. Every time someone lets me know my  youtube videos helped them learn something (despite the mistakes and mediocre production value)

4. Any compliment I've ever gotten from Jason Ricci

5. At a harp show in Long Beach that had a contest for a non-pro to get on the bill, Jon Gindick walked by me and said, "You should be on that stage"

6. Rod Piazza telling me that I "get it"

Thanks for letting me share.

Dan Gage
"12gagedan" on youtube