[Harp-L] Re: Trident Reeds

I made the trident reed by hand, based on a drawing in a book on American
reed organs (similar to harmoniums except that air is pulled through the
reeds by vacuum instead of being pushed through the reeds by pressure) along
with two other versions: a 2-prong version in a Y-shape and a 3-prong
version in cruciform shape.  They were said to be for some kind of specialty
voices for the reed organ.

When set in an accordion the trident reed was louder and more resonant than
an accordion bass reed of similar size and pitch, but not fundamentally
different.  I'd guess that the length of reed edge-to-slot interface may be
directly proportional to the resonance, or strength of upper partials.
Guimbardes/jaw harps rely on strong upper partials to produce a melody,
which may be the reasoning behind the multi-tipped design of some Asian
versions.  My trident reed is not in an accordion at the moment, but I've
uploaded a recording of it played by mouth - not nearly as resonant but it
might give some idea of its sound:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B56Y28n7JwtSOGM4MWI3MjktN2NkNC00ZDJlLWE0M2MtOTgyMTA2Yjc0NDkx&hl=en

I tried tuning the prongs of the reed to different notes - intervals above
the fundamental of the whole reed, intervals above or below the other
prongs, but it didn't seem to affect the sound in any way.  So not difficult
to tune at all; a little more or a little less weight on any prong didn't
make any appreciable difference other than to the overall pitch of the reed.

Rick