Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Musical Predictions

From: icemanle@xxxxxxx <icemanle@xxxxxxx>
To: reedwrecker@xxxxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, 12:45

Could a corollary to the 80/20 rule be that 20% of harp players come up with 80% of the best riffs? Or best songs? Or best CDs?

I didn't notice any reviews of this--last weekend I was at the Norton Buffalo tribute concert in Oakland. Harp content--Charlie Musselwhite sat in with Bonnie Raitt, Doobie Bros, and Steve Miller. He sounded great of course, but certainly a different sound than Buffalo had when he played with these guys. Steve Miller did a good job playing his old harp part on Living in the USA. I'm not a huge Doobies fan but thought they stole the show.

Marc Spilka
Los Gatos, CA

I teach an understanding of music based on a formula I came up with - 80/20
(not based on scientific evidence - just intuition. Nice to note that this
article reaffirms what I've found to be true).

80% of the time, if the audience is able to "predict" what comes next, they
become comfortable with the music. However, if you don't surprise them 20% of
the time, they will lose interest, as it becomes "too familiar". If you surprise
them more than, say 20%, they become uncomfortable in their failure to be able
to predict, and you may lose them this way.

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Albanese <reedwrecker@xxxxxxxxx> To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tue, Jan 26, 2010 10:03 pm Subject: [Harp-L] Musical Predictions

I thought this was an interesting explaination for what makes music meaningful and satisfying to the human brain...

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2010/01/musical_predictions.php

Harp content: Try not to be too predictable in your playing.

--
Sent via http://www.addtoany.com