Re: [Harp-L] Musical Predictions

Ratios aside, the message makes total sense. If you can predict 100% of the
music you listen to you will quickly loose interest because you're bored to
tears. But if you can predict none of it, you'll probably have a very hard
time enjoying the music because it's hard to find satisfaction in something
that's totally unfamiliar. That's why avant-garde jazz usually isn't the
biggest part of most record collections.

When I first read this article (
http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2010/01/musical_predictions.php - in case you
missed it the first time, it's a short read) I thought for a minute about
how it would apply to the blues. Blues can be very predictable but within
the structure it's still possible to surprise and excite your audience by
leading them to expect one thing and then throw a curve ball at them. Easier
said than done but something to shoot for.

tom albanese