[Harp-L] 2010 IBC - I'm Upset

Anyone else in Memphis for the IBC?  Jimi Lee was in a tough  preliminary
room, with last years solo/duo finals runner-up, + Eric Hughes,  a Memphis
staple & very talented guy (also a harmonica  player)...Jimi put on a great
show & won that room!   He went on to the finals, where an act from Canada
that I missed  seeing eventually got the top nod.

Later on something happened in the band division  finals which really
bothers me.  The winning act, Grady  Champion, put on a good show, except for one
thing.  Grady played  a lot of long & well received solos on the harmonica,
walking into  the crowd singing & playing harp with a wireless at the end
of the  set.  His singing was good, the rest of the band was tight... but the
 harmonica work was what I'd (kindly) describe as a near beginner level
performance.  I'm quite familiar with the judging criterion, I've  judged for
the last three years in local qualifying events in Colorado,  including when
we sent Lionel Young as a solo act... who wound up winning  the whole damn
thing in 2008.  The categories are weighted, tied as  one of the most
important categories is musicianship, which in  this case seems to have been
tossed out the window.

So, what would the verdict have been if he played a guitar  instead of
harmonica in the same amateurish fashion?  I  suspect the band would have never
been sent to Memphis, much the less to  the finals.  I'm upset that the
panel of judges at the  IBC finals, notable people in the industry who are there
 because they "know" about musicianship & the blues, were so abysmally
ignorant of what constitutes talent on the harmonica.  Did they simply  not
know, or did they give him a pass because after all, it was only a  harmonica?

I'm pleased that a band with a harp player got the nod, and am  not trying
to deliberately insult the winner, he was indeed  otherwise a good
performer.  Certainly there's hope for  his playing, lessons with a guy like Ronnie
Shellist, Adam Gussow,  Dave Barrett or any of the other great teachers we
know could  quickly get him to where the harp portion would  be listenable.  I
genuinely wish this band great success on  the wonderful journey that is
now ahead of them (I'd kill to get paid  to go on the Blues Cruise)... but,
DAMN, if you're going to now be  playing blues harmonica on a national stage,
do yourself a giant  favor and contact Ronnie at harmonica123.com, otherwise
the harp part will hold  you back.

Chris