Re: [Harp-L] Lowest priced professional instrument?

On Jan 26, 2010, at 9:03 AM, John F. Potts wrote:

When i think about the price of harmonicas, I think about the cost of a performing set. i carry a performing set of 13 (12 standard keys and high G) and I use them all regularly (except for B which i use very infrequently).

I am a mirror image. I have 13. G to high G. The only GM is the high G. The rest are spl-20s. I use them all regularly except the B. I have NO spares. I expect the harps to play. I do also carry 5 smo-joe tuned. They are grouped together so that I can modulate up or down a few keys. They are in Bb, C, Db, D, Eb.

Maybe it's because I don't OB and i play multiple positions, but I think of my entire set as my instrument.

Same. I OB a bit but don't like the sound. Actually, I lie. I don't like the risk. I'm never sure I will hit a note cleanly near pitch.

If a tune gets called, i select which key harp I'm going to play in which position. Equinox will put me in 4th. St. Thomas will put me in 1st. I Shot The Sheriff or Little Wing will put me in 5th. So What will put me in 3d, but I need to use 2 harps. Got My Mojo Working, will put me in 2d. etc.

So, i consider my "instrument" to be my entire SET of harps. If one is playing primarily blues and only using 2 or 3 positions, maybe a performing set will consist of 7 or 8 harps. BUT a serous diatonic player needs to cary multiple instruments in a range of keys. 13 Suzuki Hammonds @ $45 or so a piece adds up to more than the cost of many other moderately priced instruments.

So, I guess it depends how you look at it and whether you can realistically consider a single harp to be your instrument.

I also cary several chromos. I can handle 4 keys fairly well, and since I play in several keys on several 'keyed' chromos. I can cover about anything. I do this because bands (and especially singers) are always changing keys for as written. I am not about to re learn a tune on the spot. I play mostly by rote and a bit by ear.

smo-joe