Re: [Harp-L] RE: Hohner USA response (Andy Garrigue)

> Frank says:
> I noticed you ignored 3. while commenting 4.?
> Andy says:
> 3. We held off on a price increase as long as possible....
> 4. This price increase is Hohner's first since April 2008 ...

Hi Frank

Where are you located and what have you seen in terms of harmonica
pricing in your neck of the woods?

What about Suzuki and other makers pricing?

Here in Canada we had a huge street price increase in March/ April
2009 ... not sure why Andy suggests otherwise ... seemed to me to
occur in the US too as I was curious last spring when I noticed the GM
price jump here  .... will go over his response more fully tomorrow
... Errr, later this AM that is  ...

With most products, our pricing is in concert with the US, allowing
for exchange rate and volume differences, if coming in from outside of
North America ... C$ been pretty strong vs US$ and near par the last 2
or 3 years ... sometimes at premium to par ...

Canadian retail price 12 months ago vs today:

Golden Melody C$30.95 ... today C$42.95
Special 20 approx 30 .. today 38.95
Big River approx 17 ... today 26.95
Marine band  approx 28  ... today 33 (Jan. sale price)
Suzuki Bluesmaster 31 ... today 31

I bought several different harps from Nov 08 to March 09 and kept the
purchase info which is why I noticed when the GM's jumped in price in
late Mar to April 09 ... luckily I beat the GM price jump ... also
bought some Suzuki's then so was aware of pricing in general ...
prices quoted here in C$ and the best I can find in Canada ... cross
border purchase cost prohibitive all in ...

Johnnie

PS   In terms of pricing, I think the NA market will take care of
itself  ... lots of competition in the sales channels ... lots of
options in terms of similar products ... when competition is
sufficient, then the price is what it is .... those in Europe, etc,
may not be as fortunate as I don't believe the retail competitive
environment is as strong ... Thoughts?

PPS   A GM at C$43 is now pretty pricey given the need for multiple
keys for performing musicians ... I will limit my purchases at this
price to only replacing vital instruments and only if I can't fix
them, no way, now how  ... ie harp hating ex-spouse takes aim...  :-)

PPPS   subsitute instruments in similar price range ... Suzuki
Bluesmaster $31... decent Yamaha recorder for jazz $30 ... Xaphoon
pocket sax $60 ... decent ½ half sized acoustic guiter $100 ... ½
sized Fender-Squier Stratocaster $100 ... all play well out of the box
but can be elbow-greased as desired ... where as I must work on my GMs
to make them playable for me ... 15 hours of reed and slot work
though, and I have a Stradivarius!!!... Suzukis more playable OTB ...
can be improved too ...