[Harp-L] RE: Hohner USA response (Andy Garrigue)

I reckon we are all in the same boat with our harmonica problems, which in
some localities are severe. (Try buying a diatonic harp in rural Indonesia).

Comments on selected Hohner replies from Andy Garrigue

> 1.       Even with rising prices, the harmonica remains the lowest priced
> professional musical instrument available in the market today.

[GA] Let's get real, if a pro needs to play music, over time he will require
say ten harp keys. I haven't noticed many one-string, one-machine-headed
guitars around, but I can buy a complete Fender Squier for about a third of
the price of a set of Hohners.  The kazoo and the "jaw's" harp of course are
cheaper instruments which have been played by professionals.

> 2.       Yes, there is a price increase effective 2/15/10 of 9 to 10% on
> most harmonica products, and Hohner is increasing prices on other
> instruments (accordions, ukuleles) as well. Whether, and when, this will
> translate into higher prices online and at stores is up to those dealers.

[GA] Looks like quiet times ahead, apart from the explosive noises of Hohner
shooting themselves in the foot. I can imagine the boardroom suit saying,
"times are hard and punters' money short, Hey! let's have a price increase,
the dealers will absorb it".
Dealers will look at which brand is profitable, some may switch allegiances.

> 4.       This price increase is Hohner's first since April 2008, i.e. its
> first rise in 22 months, and is 10% or less.

[GA] The simple concept of value and price relationship has been lost, and
the time of 22 months doesn't defend the incorrect price of harps.
A blues harp simply isn't worth the asking price, it's uncomfortable to
hold, partially made of cheap material (the cover plate rusts in the tropics
in a period of -lets say- 22 months).
Has anyone in Hohner really looked at the totally atrocious ProHArp comb?

> 8.       Retail price for Marine Bands, Special 20s and Blues Harps will
> be $47-48, which puts them below the list price of some of the featured
> harmonicas of other brands. These are list prices; selling price varies.

[GA] Small wake up note: Your competitors are making harps to tighter
tolerances, better finish (rounded corners) and with better materials (like
stainless steel covers),.. and selling them for less.
However, they have missed-out on the opportunity to put a single harp in a
cardboard box and add a folded-up poster of Bob Dylan.
Good Thinking Hohner, maybe you could concentrate next on different tinted
plastic for the blister packs?
Sorry , I speak English: If the coming "value-added content" means more
posters, ..thanks to harp playing, I CAN hold my breath.

Geoff Atkins