Subject: [Harp-L] pre-existing harmonica terminology ??

I agree, Doug. To my mind 'chamber' is more an enclosed area...or space.

I've also pondered this.  Was thinking you might want to  refer
specifically to blow and draw holes...when talking about the different  mouthpiece
parts (of the chromatic specifically). You also might derive a bit  more info
from the many learned chrom players on Slidemeister - who may  very well have
had this discussion before.

You could post it as an open-ended discussion there (the thread stays
'alive' on the website)...and can be added to at any time with older posts still
 visible...

One Webster's dictionary definition of a harmonica refers to it as 'a small
 wind instrument with free reeds recessed in air slots from which tones are
 sounded by exhaling and inhaling'.  So there you go. A slot is an
'official' alternative :)

Elizabeth

"Message: 9
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:05:00 -0700
From: "Doug"  <mr4chnt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp L Harp L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>,     "Elizabeth Hess"
<TinLizzie2010@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm  already using 'chamber' to refer to cavities that do not necessarily
go  'through' anything.  Thanks though.

I think I should redefine my  goal here:  If anyone knows of any
pre-existing harmonica termionology for  things like mouth-hole, slide-hole,
hole-in-the-back-of-the-mouthpiece, etc.,  please let me know.  If there is nothing
already in use I think I will go  the hyphenating route.

Thanks.

Doug H